So this exercise isn’t a sexy major lift that will make your nipples hard, but it is a DAMN good exercise regardless.
The side plank clam shell is a terrific exercise for targeting your lateral core, glutes, and hip external rotators all in one.
I prefer to perform this movement as part of a warmup, as a filler in between other bigger lifts, or if you’re feeling masochistic, you can do this as a finisher and get a pretty sick booty pump going on. Either way, you’re going to feel this one guaranteed.
- Lay on your side with your knees bent and placed slightly in front of your body.
- Make sure your elbow is underneath your shoulder.
- Using your elbow and bottom knee, push your hip off the ground while simultaneously lifting your top leg in the air.
- Push your hips forward and squeeze your glutes so you feel your hips ‘lock out’ and the top portion of the movement.
- Finish in a good posture position with your shoulders back and hips square.